Thursday, October 29, 2009

Truly Amazing

We had a few experiences in our home this week that I would really rather not ever have happen again. The first happened this past Tuesday. Cole had woken up early and he was a little fussy. His belly had been bothering him and since there was nothing I could do for him, I decided to let him cry it out for just a little bit. So, I quickly jumped in the shower and got myself ready for the day. It didn't take me that long, maybe 20 minutes. After I was done, I turned on the monitor and could hear him breathing. He had fallen back asleep. I started my day and then got the girls up and ready. Finally, I went in to wake Cole up at his normal time. I had gotten to his closed door and I could hear him crying inside, so I hurried in to get him. I noticed as soon as I opened the door that his cry was muffled. When I got to his crib, I saw what no mother would want to see. Somehow he had rolled over onto his back (he's been doing this for quite awhile now), scooted his body to the head of the crib, turned around and scooted back down to the end. In this process, his head got underneath his blanket. Normally I wouldn't be overly concerned, but his blanket had gotten wrapped tightly around his head! I don't know how that happened, but I immediately was in panic mode. I ripped that blanket off his head, scooped him up in my arms and we cried together. Under the blanket was about a foot circle of sweat and tears. I don't know how long he had been like that but when I took the blanket off his head, he was struggling to take in full breaths. It was hot under there. His entire head was covered in sweat and dripping down his face. His hair was slicked back. It was amazing that this little guy didn't suffocate. I've heard of babies dying for unknown reasons in their cribs. God totally had His hand on my son for that to not have happened to him.

Then, last night after I got home from the gym, we were putting the girls to bed. I tucked in Lily and Maggie and then was heading down to Emma's room to pray with her and say goodnight. I picked Cole up off from the living room floor to take him down with me. About 1/3 of the way down, my left ankle buckled and we fell down the stairs together. Amazingly enough, Cole never hit the stairs or the wall. He stayed in my arms the whole time. The only time he cried was when I was screaming to Marc to come and get him. God, again, had His hand on my son. The second time in two days. He truly is amazing!!! And I am thanking Him daily for protecting Cole.

3 comments:

Kevin Flick said...

oh allison...my heart jumped while reading this. i am so thankful that all is well and you are all safe! wow!!

Alli Kiz said...

Wow! God sure has a plan for that little man with 3 big, beautiful sissies!

Julie said...

So scary, yet God is so good! I'm so thankful God watches out for His children!